My Audit Experience by Shruti Khandelwal


I was shocked when I got into the firm without any reference. I felt like destiny landed me here. This is my place! A completely new phase. Away from parents... into a new world of opportunities, tiring schedules, harsh principals, tuition homeworks! But full of learning. .

Those lessons of punctuality, reporting, team work, handling ego clashes wid colleagues, teaching juniors n learning from seniors, and sometimes tackling really irking clients and ofcourse boss ki jhaad! But d most crucial..Time Management!
Articleship has taught not just the CA works but lessons I can carry all my life. 

I was in a mid-size firm. Experienced the audit of mainly construction, manufacturing Companies and NBFCs. I always loved the site visit part. The best one was the visit to a pipe manufacturing factory! Lifetime experience!
My moment of ecstasy was when the CA representing our client (NBFC) praised me for my  observations in front of my boss. Boss looked at me and said "This is called achievement!"  That was the first n last time I saw my him smiling ; p

I am sure those who say "articleship doesn't help in final exams" have never experienced real articleship. Now when I study customs when I have already seen n examined bill of lading, it all seems so familiar. The best part in CA curriculum is whatever you study, you can apply in real! Unlike calculus! :p

The two auditing mantras that i would give are -

Donot leave the habit of studying in this wide gap of 3 years! When you are auditing, try to study and relate as much as possible.  AS, Companies Act, Tax laws, SA, Guidance notes..every bit of effort will repay when you start the real exam preparation.

And, Never let articleship overburden your life.. You are a student first and then an article.  So give priority to your studies n health and then think about September!